5 ways masturbation improves your health & sex life
While figures vary, surveys report that upwards of 80% of people masturbate, with some surveys putting the number as high as 92%! That means that ‘everybody does it’ – it’s absolutely normal.
Now that we’ve got that out of the way, the even better news is that masturbation is actually good for you! Not only can it help prevent you from contracting STIs or HIV, but it can even benefit your health and your sex life. Here’s how.
• It helps reduce stress and insomnia. Masturbation is an effective stress-busting technique, and is also relieves sexual tension and helps you to sleep better.
• It can improve your sexual performance. Regular masturbation (or sex) gives your pelvic floor muscles a great workout, which can lead to better and more pleasurable sex. It can also make you harder or wetter when having sex with a partner.
• It can help you last longer. Masturbation teaches you what feels good and what doesn’t, and how your body responds to different stimuli, which are basic requirements for a satisfying sex life. It also teaches you to recognise when you’re reaching that final point of no return before you orgasm, so that you can make sex last longer, and helps you to avoid or overcome premature ejaculation.
• It can boost your immunity. Masturbation in men increases the flow of testosterone through the body, which can help to strengthen bones and muscles. Testosterone also transports a hormone called DHEA, which aids in the healthy functioning of the immune system and can help fight inflammation.
• It’s a mood booster. When you masturbate, natural feel-good chemicals called endorphins are released into the body, which can improve your mood and even help fight depression.
Stop feeling embarrassed about wanting to master masturbation, and instead get busy giving yourself some pleasure! It’ll benefit your health and give you an even better sex life with your partner. What more reason do you need?
Confidential STI and HIV testing
If you’re concerned about STIs and HIV, pop into your nearest Marie Stopes clinic for quick test to find out exactly what you need to know about your sexual health. We offer affordable HIV and STI testing and confidential counselling in a safe and non-judgmental environment.